Wednesday, September 9, 2015

The upside of a scattered brain

Not long ago, I gave a lecture at the University of Southern Mississippi about my attempts to combat growing worldwide Islamophobia, brutal human rights abuses by the current Iranian regime, and global stigma surrounding mental illness.

StigmaI fully admit that tackling these three topics simultaneously in a one-hour presentation (let alone setting them as life goals) may strike some as a bit overreaching, not to mention a tad haphazard, even mad. Yet to me, my “madness” seems perfectly measured, even methodical.

The way I see it, if you’re going to take on issues like bigotry and injustice, you’d be insane not to tackle as much as you could get away with at once. So, when I was presented with the title of my talk, “The Activist Writer: Writing for a Cause,” I took the broad theme as an invitation to run, or rather fly, with whatever topics or ideas struck me as readily related and relevant.

Read more: http://www.bphope.com/the-upside-of-a-scattered-brain/

No comments:

Post a Comment